Re: amaroK

__/ [Linønut] on Friday 18 November 2005 17:54 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> It  is  my favourite KDE application at the moment. I love so many of  its
>> album  management features, but I just wish it was slightly more stable. I
>> still  use XMMS at work, but it requires quite a bit of manual handling of
>> playlists  or  occasional "Jump to track". After AmaroK, XMMS  just  seems
>> like  a waste of time and a significant step back. I raised that as an is-
>> sue  in the XMMS users mailing list recently and it is still unknown  when
>> XMMS 2 will come out. With Amarok, it sometimes feels like XMMS betrayal.
>
> XMMS does all I need:  let's me load a bunch of files from a directory,
> and play them.  I have too much music to bother trying to organize it
> beyond how it is already organized (as hierarchical directories by
> artist and genre.
>
> KISS.

That's  *exactly* what I initially thought and I religiously stuck to that
point-of-view.  I  refused to use AmaroK and even installed  XMMS,  twice.
Then,  I  slowly came to realise that flat directories could be  organised
and  catalogued very wisely and /automatically/, making recommendations in
the  playlists,  binding lyrics and album covers on-the-fly. As long as  I
have  my  music played and I don't have to mess about with  anything,  why
complain? Why not take advantage of novelty?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K
  8:15am  up 16 days  4:09,  4 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.43, 0.48