Re: NEAR in Search Engines

__/ [Noticedtrends] on Sunday 16 October 2005 04:02 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [zenboom] on Saturday 15 October 2005 09:32 \__
>>

>> > "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> >
>> > <snip>

>> > Search-engine

>> > when
>> > ever

>> > mind
>> >>

>> > <snip>
>> >
>> > :p Anyone that can't be bothered to express themselves clearly deserves
>> > wade through irrelevant responses! Search operators need to be
>> > developed, not dropped! Will Google et al somehow get much better at
>> > guessing what's on my mind before I decide to move to a service with
>> > better tools ?? fergettaboudit!
>>
>> Forget about extra tools to complement a keywork-based search. Do the
>> rational thing and go sematic; see the bottom of my sig.
>>
>> Roy
>>
>> --
>> Roy S. Schestowitz      | HTML is for page layout, not for textual
>> messages
>> http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    |     PGP-Key: 74572E8E
>>   2:35pm  up 51 days  2:49,  5 users,  load average: 0.22, 0.23, 0.24
>>       http://iuron.com - next generation of search paradigms
>

> I'm not quite sure how semantic approaches like IURON can yield results
> similar to "inferential scanning"-- for supposedly inferring emerging
> social and business trends. Can comparisons be made? Any examples of
> existing search-engines which seem to mimick something like IURON?

I could only ever think of Googlism, which I first came across back in early
2003. It was barely ever working for anything less than 'famous' and all it
did was apparently using Google SEPR's to gather some facts at a shallow
level. It was a toy that went nowhere, but nontheless a playful toy.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Coffee makes mw to0 jittery
  6:55am  up 51 days 19:09,  5 users,  load average: 0.36, 0.40, 0.52