Re: Research material for OpenOffice.org

  • Subject: Re: Research material for OpenOffice.org
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 08:04:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [DFS] on Monday 17 October 2005 08:00 \__

> John Bailo wrote:
>> DFS wrote:
>>
>>> And you Access haters on cola could learn something, too, and help
>>> open your closed Linux minds.
>>
>> Yes, Microsoft will tell you how great Access is when they're trying
>> to sell copies of Office Professional.
>
> It is great.  My latest Access/Oracle/SQL Server/doc mgmt system is a
> miracle of data management, usability, features and power.
>
> * manage Oracle users and roles from a nice screen
> * optionally audit user activity, and find out who the slackers are (like
> Linonut)
> * pass the machine login to Oracle for single point access
> * validate app version each time user logs in (this is the real weak point
> of 2-tier CS)
> * smooth integration with the document mgmt system (read and write docs
> using an API)
> * a few user customizations with column layout, system colors, and display
> orders
> * advanced filtering on main datagrids
> * pop up unique logos each time the brand changes
> * conditional color formatting on the datagrids
> * pop-up calendars for date selection
> * admin screens for user session mgmt, and to take system down for
> maintenance
>
> You could do the same things in web technologies, but it would take much
> longer to code.

Shopping list... very dull. Been there, done that. All products do merely
the same. Those who lack, imitate rather than innovate. Who is better at
imitation when compared with Microshafters and their allies?

>> Of course, then the SQL Server salesman will come around and tell you
>> that you need to clean up all those Access programs and put them in
>> SQL Server.
>
> That's their job - sell, sell, sell.

Stop selling. Give customer what's right for /them/.

>> Bottom line: get a MySQL server and write some jdbc code with Eclipse.
>
> Sounds like a *horrible* suggestion:  for anyone outside IT, it's
> difficult to install, difficult to admin, difficult to maintain, and
> difficult to
> understand.  Which puts it out of the reach of most small to medium
> businesses.

Au contraire. It /is/ within reach for small and medium businesses because
it /is/ affordable. Moreover, you said "difficult to understand". What is
more difficult to understand than closed source and proprietary?

> Who's going to admin the MySQL server?  What is JDBC, and who's going to
> write the code?  How are the people in HR going to access the database?

The code has been written already and made GPL'd. HR people are no
exception.

> note: I write JDBC code (server-side) from time to time - I did it in the
> past to set and get travel orders, and I'll soon have to do it again, to
> pull data from DB2 and Domino servers, and verify/update matching info in
> an Oracle 10g repository.

Good. If you use it, why slag it off?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Free the mind, the source will follow"
  8:00am  up 52 days 20:14,  4 users,  load average: 0.49, 0.47, 0.35