Re: how many sets

  • Subject: Re: how many sets
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 03:51:19 +0100
  • Followup-to: alt.fitness.weights,alt.sport.bodybuilding
  • Newsgroups: alt.fitness.weights, alt.sport.bodybuilding
__/ [pil] on Thursday 20 October 2005 19:45 \__

>> __/ [pil] on Friday 14 October 2005 21:17 \__
>>
>>> I am currently doing about 6 reps on all of my exercises. I manage my
>>> weight so that I can do no more than 6. How many sets can I do without
>>> overtraining? I pushed up my sets from 3 to 5 is this ok?
>>
>> I'd recommend 8-12 repetations for weight exercise, but it depends on your
>> goal(s), e.g. general fitness, mass, strength and so forth. Abs often make
>> the expception with about 20 repetitions as the norm.
>>
>> You  exchange the word "rep" with "set" in your message, which is  confus-
>> ing.  I think you should never do 3-5 repetitions of /anything/ although I
>> have seen people who do a 1-rep set or 2-rep sets. Watch those future back
>> problems,  torn  muscles and long-standing injuries... It ain't worth  it,
>> buddy.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Roy
>
> thanks for the feedback. I read that for strength and muscle gain its best
> to do heavier weight at less reps per set. Thats why I have that approach.

True,  but try not to stoop /that/ low, metaphorically speaking. There are
many  people out there who use steroid so all they need are a few  muscle-
-busing sets.

If  you  work on physique in a natural way, stick to what  scientific  re-
search  has shown to be most effective. I take 12 to be the 'golden rule',
but  8 are good when you want to take a shot at heavier weights. When  you
strengthen  your abilities and can do these formerly 'heavier weights'  12
times,  put it up a notch and do just 8. This has worked well for me and I
have  stuck  to  that routine for 10 years. I barely ever  experience  in-
juries.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Prevalence does not imply ideali$M
  3:45am  up 56 days 15:59,  5 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.25, 0.32