Re: Banner image visible?

"dorayme" <dorayme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
news:BF80EF7A.19574%dorayme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> From: Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> __/ [Dominic Myers] on Friday 21 October 2005
>> 23:43 \__
>>
>>> Hi there.
>>>
>>> I've a strange problem with an image on a site
>>> I've written.
>>> For me it works a treat and I'm looking at it
>>> with
>>> Opera 8.5, FF 1.0.7, IE 6 and Avant 10.1 Build
>>> 30
>>> (Which I guess is just IE made
>>> pretty) on Windows XP with SP2 and Safari,
>>> Opera
>>> 8.5 and FF 1.0.7 on
>>> Mac OS X.3. The page should look like this:
>>> <http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?image=indigo0016du.jpg>
>>> but instead looks like this:
>>> <http://img436.imageshack.us/my.php?image=site9zu.jpg>
>>> and this generally is the case in IE 6 and
>>> FireFox
>>> on Windows machines. I should add that it's
>>> some
>>> but not all Windows machines! Anyone any ideas
>>> as
>>> to why this might be happening as it's doing
>>> my
>>> poor head in. The page is at
>>> <http://indigo.camshag.co.uk> by the way.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> The page looks exactly the same as in the
>> latter screenshot under Firefox
>> upon Linux. Same with Mozilla and
>> Konqueror.http://imageshack.us/?x=my6
>>
>> That green element just doesn't show up. Why is
>> it cut at the bottom, by the
>> way? It looks unfinished... but overall the
>> page is pretty.
>>
>> You must add some fonts, if at all specify any.
>> Some platforms might not have
>> 'Ariel'.
>>
>> My modest take...
>>
>> Roy
>
> As it happened, I looked up the font because the
> para text
> looked nice (in font not so much colour) on my
> screen and I
> wanted to check it and saw 'Arial' in the body{}
> of the linked
> css at
> http://indigo.camshag.co.uk/resources/index.css,
> then read
> your post.
>
> Are you saying the quotes are not supposed to be
> there? (I
> assume a typo by you for "Arial" unless there is
> an instance I
> missed on my quick glance...). Or more and that
> there should be
> a fuller range of fonts... Is the effect of the
> quotes to make
> some browsers ignore the font intended?
>
> To the OP, your page looked nice till I enlarged
> the fonts a
> bit, it broke up quickly and horribly when the
> fonts are
> enlarged. See http://dorayme.150m.com/indigo.jpg
>

> --
> dorayme

Roy and dorayme,

Oops... was a typo with Ariel originally being
used instead of Arial
;-)

No image for you Roy? Can't work out what the
problem is. I've replaced the image with an image
in a table (Can't beat 'em join 'em... then again
I'm not such a purist that I can't appreciate the
use of tables sometimes ;-)), the replacement
means that the banner is the right size but the
image isn't visible still. Just can't work it out
at all tbh.

Any ideas?

Dom