Re: Concept behind "rel=nofollow"

__/ [David] on Monday 24 October 2005 09:16 \__

> On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:55:15 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Some spammers may hit those who use rel="nofollow" just in spite or simply
>>because it's more effective in terms of time. We are now working on the
>>idea of collaborative comment spam flagging:
>>http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/09/21/comment-spam/
>>
>>It is very similar to the principle adopted by Google Mail, but the API's
>>may make it extensible and generalisable. I can't say much more at this
>>point.
>
> I just posted a spammy link to a comment on your SPAM trap, this URL
> has been link spammed a lot.

Thanks, David.

> It went through and was posted, what was supposed to happen?

It triggers an E-mail initially:

===
A new comment on the post #3 "One Last Spam Trap" is waiting for your
approval
http://schestowitz.com/Spam/?p=3

Author : Test by Dave (IP: 62.254.0.55 , nott-cache-12.server.ntli.net)
E-mail : test@xxxxxxxxxxx
URI    : <HIDDEN>
Whois  : http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryinput=62.254.0.55
Comment:
lets see if it stops this URL which is link spammed a lot (not mine BTW).

To approve this comment, visit:
http://schestowitz.com/Spam/wp-admin/post.php?action=mailapprovecomment&p=3&comment=2
To delete this comment, visit:
http://schestowitz.com/Spam/wp-admin/post.php?action=confirmdeletecomment&p=3&comment=2
Currently 1 comments are waiting for approval. Please visit the moderation
panel:
http://schestowitz.com/Spam/wp-admin/moderation.php
===

Then there is spam flagging that 'calls home' for some learning. I don't
think I'm allowed to say anything beyond this.

> Oh wait it's waiting review. I take it you categorize it as spam and
> all the people using the system know it's SPAM. Will it pick up the .
> link I added to the post?

I can't tell, but the general idea is that only trusted sources (with a
registered key) can send reports as this prevents abuse which may lead to
false positives and negatives.