Re: Concept behind "rel=nofollow"

__/ [davidof] on Monday 24 October 2005 08:29 \__

> David wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:26:30 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>>Speaking  of which, rel="nofollow" did not stop link spam. Wikis,  forums,
>>>blogs, guestbooks continue to get whacked.
>>

>> A lot has been stopped, so in that sense it's a success. In the future
>> I assume new forum software etc... will eventually incorporate this
>> into vulnerable areas.
>
> A lot of blog and wiki software incoporates this "feature" already, but
> as Roy says it doesn't stop spam and may only encourage spammers to try
> harder.

I also neglected to point out that 'reduced-impact' links discourage
involvement. Genuine links get treated as if they were spam, which means
that babies get thrown with the bathwater.

Some spammers may hit those who use rel="nofollow" just in spite or simply
because it's more effective in terms of time. We are now working on the idea
of collaborative comment spam flagging:
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/09/21/comment-spam/

It is very similar to the principle adopted by Google Mail, but the API's may
make it extensible and generalisable. I can't say much more at this point.