Re: Berners-Lee and the Semantic Web

__/ [markrush@xxxxxxxxx] on Wednesday 26 October 2005 14:28 \__

> tim bernerds lee is gonna be pissed if this takes off, its contrary to
> his vision of web2

http://www2.fmg.uva.nl/sociosite/websoc/semantic.html

The article begins with a quote from Berners-Lee:

<quote>

 "The Web was designed as an information space, with the goal that it should
 be useful not only for human-human communication, but also that machines
 would be able to participate and help. One of the major obstacles to this
 has been the fact that most information on the Web is designed for human
 consumption, and even if it was derived from a database with well defined
 meanings (in at least some terms) for its columns, that the structure of the
 data is not evident to a robot browsing the web. Leaving aside the
 artificial intelligence problem of training machines to behave like people,
 the Semantic Web approach instead develops languages for expressing
 information in a machine processable form

        [Tim Berners-Lee, Semantic Web Road Map, sept. 1998]

<quote>

The semantic Web could mean trouble to Google, which is very keyword- or
index-oriented. See the URL in my signature, which is a project that
actually intends to make use of semantics. I will even meet the
(questionably) father of the Sematic Web next week to discuss that.

Also see:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/09/30/google_buys_search_engine_pagerank/

<quote>

 Google has made no secret of its goal to ?understand? the web, an
 acknowledgement that its current brute-force text index produces search
 results with little or no context. The popularity of Teoma demonstrates that
 even a small index can produce superior results for certain kind of
 searches. Teoma leans on existing classification systems.

</quote>

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
  3:25pm  up 62 days  1:34,  5 users,  load average: 0.22, 0.22, 0.22