Re: In which startup file should I place a xhost command?

  • Subject: Re: In which startup file should I place a xhost command?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:09:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [Ronald Fischer] on Wednesday 26 October 2005 12:05 \__

> I would like to execute a xhost command every time KDE starts up.
> I wonder where I would place such a command.
>
> The KDE help pages suggest to use ~/.xsession for this. I don't have
> such a file yet, but of course I can create one. What bothers me,
> however, is that an .xsession file usually has as the last line
> an invocation of the window manager, which makes no sense in my
> case (KDE starts up anyway without an .xsession, so I fear that
> creating a .xsession would interfere with the normal startup
> behaviour of kde).
>
> Is it safe to use .xsession under these circumstances, or are
> there other startup files which are executed only once?
>
> Ronald

Depending on your Linux distribution, you should be able to include that line
in:

/etc/profile.local

  (that is where I personally make the call for xbindkeys)

Also, there are file/s which are invoked once at the beginning of the KDE
session and there are front-end tools (depending on distribution), which
allow you to add them without changing text files and digging for clues as
to what gets called when.

I truly hope this helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> apt-get -not windows
  4:05pm  up 62 days  2:14,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.04