YOU Broke KDE

I recently installed SuSE 9.3 on a new machine. After doing a comprehensive
YaST Online Update, KDE seems to have been broken. In SuSE's defence, I did
take a few risks and ignored potential system inconsistencies. Now, whenever
I log in, I believe I am put in TWM (if I recall correctly) and I can open
xterm and 'startkde'. I see some errors generated and KDE is then badly
embedded in TWM. I can handle that KDE session, but it is badly fragmented.
Is there any way out of this mess?