Re: God in Academia

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [Jeffrey Goldberg] on Monday 24 October 2005 03:38 \__

(5) Our sense of dualism.  Our sense of self (and of free-will) creates
the illusion that "soul" or "spirit" exists in a way that is
disconnected from body.  I'm not saying that most people on the street
would articulate Cartesian dualism, but I do think that dualism is
implicit in our thinking (even for those of us who explicitly don't
believe in it).

This is related to point (2), but can be listed independently, I agree. You
might as well add factors like illusionary minds, sleep paralysis and so
forth.

Yes. I also forgot to include the whole range of cognitive illusions that lead to and support superstition. Things like the "Confirmatory Bias" and the "Law of Small Numbers" and so on. Thanks.

-j