Re: Scraped Site Search

__/ [Del] on Friday 28 October 2005 15:08 \__

> [snip protocol]

>>> Wow, thats exactly what Im looking for! I dont suppose youd be able to
>>> give
>>> me a link or some information so that I can find out about how to do
>>> this?
>>

>> If you are relying on Google referrals, I strongly urge you not to go down
>> that route.
>>
>> Roy
>
> Why is that not advised? I'm thinking of doing the same.
>
> Del

>From what I hear, Scroogle or others, despite the fact that they use proxies,
are services to be frowned upon by Google. Some say that linking to Scoogle
might awake the wrath of Google's algorithms.

I currently use a service that converts Google results page (not Google News)
into RSS feeds and one that gives me weather forecast RSS feeds, originally
from the BBC. Both involve what is known as scraping. It drains computer
power and bandwidth without attributing the content to the original source.
Do not aggravate the service providers. This becomes ever more conspicuous
if you use such a service in a public site where the use of scraping is
audience-facing.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Mod me up and I'll mod you 'insightful'"
  6:50am  up 65 days 12:40,  6 users,  load average: 0.71, 0.63, 0.47