Re: SHIFT button as Circle

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [Thomas Wootten] on Sunday 30 October 2005 15:04 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> The  only thing that bothers me, believe it or not, is that the keyboard
>>> received  in the package, although it looks wonderful, has a circle
>>> where
>>> the  right  SHIFT typically lies. It is hard getting accustomed to
>>> always
>>> use  the left SHIFT. What is that circle anyway? And why is it that I
>>> al-
>>> ways  spend  a few seconds trying to figure out what's wrong until  I
>>> see
>>> that  the  colon is in fact a semi-colon? Why is it that amaroK  uses
>>> the
>>> Windows  logo button for global keyboard accelerators? The keyboard
>>> strug- gles must end.
>>
>> So are you saying that right shift doesn't work? Odd.
>> Is there a pic of the keyboard on the web?
>

> Just tried that, but could neither find a picture nor a reference in a Web
> page...
>
> At  first I thought of some similarities to the Mac layout (I use an  iMac
> at work sometimes), but that button appears to be utterly useless although
> it is the same size as the typical right-hand-side SHIFT.
>
> The  embarrassing  thing  is that it took me several days to  look  at  it
> closely  and realise that it was not labeled SHIFT. Rather than having  an
> arrow pointing up, it was just a small hollow circle (outline of a circle,
> that is).
>

>> amaroK using the windows key for it's shortcuts is only the default
>> behaviour. Personally I like it since the windows key isn't used for very
>> much ELSE on my system (it doesn't even open the kde menu :( )
>>
>> <snip>
>

> Isn't that button intended to disappear though[1]? Use of that button only
> encourages  the vendors to 'stamp' the keyboard, somehow locking it to  an
> O/S  manufacturer.  I am not even fond of terms  like  "Windows-compatible
> keyboard",  or "designed for Microsoft Windows" or "Winmodem".... or  DRM.
> Hardware  should  never be exchangeable or analogous with software.  Never
> ever! How would you like changing your car and find the throttle and posi-
> tion of brakes interchanged.
>
> Roy
>
> [1] XMMS uses CTRL+SHIFT+Char

I guess i could prise the winkeys off and relabel them ;)

your comment about cars reminds me of when the f keys were being messed
around with. i mean spellcheck suddenly became where F10 used to be; it's
ALWAYS been F7! (probably MS made it F7, but regardless, it's what has come
to be expected, why change it?)
--
Tom Wootten, Fresher NatSci, Trinity Hall.
oof.trinhall.cam.ac.uk