Re: Dabs Linux Box

  • Subject: Re: Dabs Linux Box
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 12:20:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
__/ [ac] on Monday 05 September 2005 11:39 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ On Friday 12 August 2005 15:04, [ac] wrote : \__
>>
>>> ac wrote:
>>> Summary - am very pleased with it, seems to work well, still testing
>>> etc. See details of my observations below.
>>
>> Thanks for posting about your experience.
>
> you're welcome
>
>> I was in need for a new machine
>> myself so I have ordered the box and accumulated all of your comments in
>> a text file, which I am sure to use later. My sister will inherit the
>> almost-6-year-old laptop...
>
> (I hope it has got a lot of memory.....?)

32MB. If handled properly, it can actually be responsive. I haven't been
using that machine for work. I often ran PuTTY on it.

I was less fortunate than you as I ordered the machine when they have run
out of stock. They get the next batch on the 9th of this month.

>> ADVICE NEEDED
>>
>> Is there any way of getting Mandriva on this machine without CD burning
>> facilities? If not, will Ubuntu Warty Warthog be considered an upgrade
>> from Mandrake 9.2?
>
> What internet connection do you expect to use with the pc? If broadband,
> you could directly install (live, over ftp etc) th ecurrent product from
> suse (9.3) from a mirror at no other cost if you wished. Suse (I use
> this) is probably a bit more heavyweight than ubuntu, I do not know
> about mandriva.

I have a 10Mbit/sec connection where the machine will reside (100Mbit/sec
otherwise). I have never done any installations over the network.

> I would expect that warty would be considered an advance on mandrake 9.2
> which is now a bit old, although I only used the mandrake 9.2 very
> briefly before replancing (with suse).

That's exactly what I initially thought. Then again, tinkering with drivers
and experimenting with distros might be bad use of time. I will use the
machine merely as a node.

> Btw did you know that ubuntu (gnome) has a sister version Kubuntu? this
> is based on kde. Both seem to be very simple. Again I have not used them
> more than a brief look.

I advised a few people to use Kubuntu although I have never tried it myself.
I use Ubuntu at the moment (I actually SSH to a SuSE machine to write this
message), but I am slightly disappointed by lack of flexibility under
GNOME.

>> I have the Ubuntu CD at home and I don't mind GNOME. All I
>> need this machine for is SSH to other (SuSE 8.2) boxes. I also will use
>> it to browser while I dine and listen to music (XMMS and Firefox).
>> Applications will /not/ run locally so this is not a concern. I don't
>> need bloat. Will Mandrake 9.2 just be fine? Ubuntu? Latest Mandriva? SuSE
>> 10 beta 3?
>
> almost anything would be ok by the sound of it, but I would avoid suse
> beta versions unless you really want to help with bugs and code. :-)

That's useful to hear. I have been thinking about SuSE 10 beta 3 for a
while. Although it doesn't offer much (especially if used as a node), I
just liked the idea of using something that is state-of-the-art.

> I used ftp install from suse and the install went well (the current
> product, not beta). For this approach you will not need a cd writer of
> course.
>
> I find suse online updates very easy to use, and very pointy clicky, an
> advantage for me. I have no experience of (security) updates with other
> distros. For me, familiarity with updates would be a deciding factor. Of
> course, most distros have practical methods of this anyway.

You have given me a good reason to stick with what I initially get.

>> PS - I see the potential for this message turning into a wee distro
>> argument,
>
> :-)
>
>>  but as I said I do not look for the /best/ distro overall. I just
>> need reliability and some very, very basic things. Everything else will
>> be done remotely.
>
> if you are familiar with suse already, consider the ftp install perhaps?
> You will have the mandrake 9.2 and your ubuntu warty cd to fall back on
> anyway.
>
> hth

I think you are right. I will at least go around and check if someone I know
has already burned SuSE.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Lions are like hippie tigers"
 12:00pm  up 12 days 21:20,  3 users,  load average: 0.66, 0.62, 0.51