Re: Suggest a challenging research idea

  • Subject: Re: Suggest a challenging research idea
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 12:33:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: sci.image.processing
__/ [Martin Leese] on Monday 05 September 2005 17:55 \__

> Ajay wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am working in the field of image processing, multiresolution
>> analysis, pattern classification.
>>
>> Can you suggest me certain ideas to work on towards getting a phD on
>> the related topic?
>>
>> Please do suggest some!!
>
> This is what PhD advisors are for.  If your advisor
> can't think up a PhD project for you then perhaps
> you should leave, and start again elsewhere with
> one that can.

The most natural thing to do is to come up with an idea based on existing
work and in particular mentioning of extensions and future work. As already
stated, the job of selection and surveying projects is best carried out by
your supervisor, whose base knowledge in the field makes his/her judgement
more reliable than yours.

If your supervisor cannot pin-point an individual project or you have not
been allocated a supervisor yet[1], have a look at work of other students,
follow the citations, and find out which gaps exist and which aspects of
the work will benefit from further exploration.

Roy

[1] I was once in that position myself when making a proposal. To Martin: in
some universities such as Cambridge, proposals are part of the application
process as they reflect on the candidate's enthusiasm and abilities.
Contact with the provisional supervisor/s is minimal at that stage.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Every polar bear is left-handed
 12:20pm  up 12 days 21:40,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.17