Re: 404 and Custom Error Pages

Hi Roy,

Thanks for following up on this. I did look closely on the problem in the
OP, and have found that it only matters when you verify your site. That
is, Google sends you a weird file name, and you have to create that file
and upload to your site. Google then goes there and check if the site
exists, and that's how they know it's YOUR site and they can give you
stats about that site. So, if your site returns 200, they see it as a
security flaw for the verification process, not for the actual map of that
site.
It is a part of the sitemap submission process, which is where I got
confused about the link between sitemaps and custom 404 error pages 'cause
apparently there isn't any relation between the two ;-)

Cheers,
Dmitri
http://www.1-script.com/download.php
Free Search Engine Scripts

Article posted with Web Developer's USENET Archive
http://www.1-script.com/forums
alt.internet.search-engines - 13428 messages and counting!