Re: Hiding CMS Identity

> __/ [John Bokma] on Thursday 08 September 2005 12:48 \__
>
>> davidof <david.george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> read: they use several heuristics. With mod_rewrite you can decide
>> what you want it to be :-)
>
> Yes, indeed. However, many people are lazy or indifferent. *smile*
> Look at the WordPress community, for example. Most users just deploy
> it as it comes 'out of the box', even with the faults I have
> complained about in the development community (most recently PageRank
> leakage). Imagine yourself CMS/blogging software that has a mechanism
> in place for hiding its identity... soon to come?

People who need it can either pay someone to do it for them, or do it
themselves.

>> Also easy to fake. Note that everything a spider gets, except the
>> domain name, can be created as you want it, since all this
>> information is encoded in headers your server / program generates.
>
> I am fairly sure that domain-related information is already used in
> the algorithms. You can sometimes use it for rough speculations. For
> example, certain hosts are blog-magnets whereas others are not, even
> by principle. Residing on server which belongs to a well-reputed host
> still merits a site.

Which would mean that one with a blog on his/her own domain gets
punished in your vision? I doubt that.

>> And if this would happen, mod_rewrite is your friend :-) Moreover, it
>> would make it possible to make a DIY homebrew CMS look like a
>> reputable well known CMS and vice versa.
>
> True, but it requires some work and/or skills. Statistically-speaking,
> this still gives you the ability to weed out blogs from search
> results.

Same for FrontPage created websites, websites not running on Apache,
etc. A blog is about the content, not about the software that is used.

I can't take any SE serious that ranks based on brand of blog software,
publishing software, OS, server etc.

--
John                       Perl SEO tools: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
                 Experienced (web) developer: http://castleamber.com/