Re: I hosed the sh^t out of my Linux box

  • Subject: Re: I hosed the sh^t out of my Linux box
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:25:13 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
[billwg] poked his little head through the XP firewall and said:

> "Tattoo Vampire" <nada@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> Try that with YOUR operating system, Wintrolls.
>
> No need to go through all that rigmarole with Windows XP, tattoo!
> You're so old-fashioned!  LOL!!!
>
> With XP you just click System Restore and pick the date that you were
> last happy with what you had and, voila!  All done, no fussing with boot
> CDs or re-installing stuff.  It just works!

You can do that with Linux as well; very easily in fact. Whether you want to
just save the settings or everything including programs and personal files,
all is simple. You just need to graft your personal home directory, which
mind you, also allows to mirror your O/S onto a second machine.

When there is a strict isolation between data files and a notorious
Registry, trouble lies ahead. This is probably the reason why my mom's
Windows machine is now crippled to a crawl (guess who will have to burn
time fixing it?) and the reason people sob when they can't boot into
Windows, not even Safe Mode.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | UNIX: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
  2:20pm  up 19 days  7:54,  3 users,  load average: 0.12, 0.24, 0.35