Re: Email spam is dead. Long Live Spam!

__/ [Els] on Friday 16 September 2005 10:59 \__

>>> e-mail marketing != spam afaik?
>>> How about mailing all those customers who agreed to receive e-mail
>>> promotions and information?
>>
>> You might be missing the point here.
>
> Don't think I am.

You're right. I was just trying to introduce another side of the discussion.

>> The big question, in practice, would
>> be: did the customers voluntarily subscribe? Were they subscribed 'by
>> default'? Was opting out something that their poor eyesight prevented
>> them from doing? To unsubscribe, are they sufficiently IT-competent?
>
> I didn't say that e-mail marketing couldn't be spam in certain
> circumstances, (like default opt-in and difficult opt-out etc), but
> merely that it doesn't have to be. I get loads of marketing e-mails
> which are not spam. Someone has to send them, someone needs a program
> to be able to do so.
> Such a program can be advertised in the manner Matt described.
>
> Just saying it doesn't have to be spam at all.

The problem many of us face is tools as such reaching the wrong hands.
Market greed often drives companies to turn more aggressive. Aggressive as
they may be, they evolve to become blind to it. That's when companies turn
evil.

Haven't we all learned the danger in delegating power improprly? Hollywood
teaches us a lesson: http://imdb.com/title/tt0343818/

... or this < http://imdb.com/title/tt0057012/ >

Roy

PS - Never watched that film

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Warning 0x12C: ispell feels tired
 11:05am  up 21 days 23:19,  4 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.49, 0.35