Re: Email spam is dead. Long Live Spam!

  • Subject: Re: Email spam is dead. Long Live Spam!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:51:27 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [Els] on Friday 16 September 2005 10:43 \__

> Matt Probert wrote:
>
>> Just received my Ad:Tech London programme, and am shocked (honestly)
>> to discover its promotion of "e-mail marketing".
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> "Ideaxis (stand 211) will be presenting a new advanced version of
>> Addemar, a DIY e-mail marketing application at the show. Addemar
>> enables abusinesses to create, launch and evaluate an e-mail marketing
>> campaign online 24/7."
>>
>> And in the conference programme
>>
>> "Benchmark your email, search, ad, rich media and affiliate marketing
>> campaigns against the best in the business"
>>
>> I thought every reputable business had agreed that email marketing is
>> just too offensive to recipients to be employed? Or are we the only
>> business that refuse to use it?
>>
>> Regarding Ad:tech, this isn't a fly-by-night conference, it's
>> primarily sponsored by Google.
>

> e-mail marketing != spam afaik?
> How about mailing all those customers who agreed to receive e-mail
> promotions and information?

You might be missing the point here. The big question, in practice, would
be: did the customers voluntarily subscribe? Were they subscribed 'by
default'? Was opting out something that their poor eyesight prevented them
from doing? To unsubscribe, are they sufficiently IT-competent?

See a fraction of my post about Dabs, dated September 10th and appeared in
uk.comp.misc:

===
On to my next point, when making the purchase on-line I cared enough to look
at the tiny footnotes and get boxes untick as to avoid E-mail nuisance.
Nevertheless, I received unwanted mail. I soon unsubscribed using their
on-line form. This afternoon I received yet another 'special offer' in what
seems to come only days apart very much against my will. I unsubscribed
again, expressing my will for the third time. Whether this will have a
positive outcome for a change, only time will tell.
===

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
 10:45am  up 21 days 22:59,  4 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.16, 0.31