Re: Telephone is dead. Love Live Wiki!

__/ [Els] on Friday 16 September 2005 10:46 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Has anyone else considered getting off the 'world of E-mail' altogether?
>
> [...]
>
>> I got rid of telephony already. Can E-mail ever be dealt with similarly?
>
> If you got rid of your telephone connection, and would also get rid of
> your e-mail account... how would anyone ever contact you other than
> knocking on your door (I suspect you got the doorbell disabled too)?

I set up password-protected Wikis to replace E-mail, which seems to have
worked wonderfully since March. My family (parents in particular) know my
telephone number, so if something important (not telemarketing) comes up,
there is never an issue. Since I never give out my number at work, I never
need to answer the phone. It can never ever be for me. If nobody else is
around, then I could take a message at best, which is pointless. Let E-mail
or repeated calls be the 'courier', not me. Everybody wins:

-The caller does not pay for a call that reached the wrong person

-The person awaiting the call will not suspect that a message is yet to be
delivered (or forgotten about)

-I do not get interrupted by a stranger who does not wish to talk to me in
the first place.