Re: Email spam is dead. Long Live Spam!

__/ [Els] on Friday 16 September 2005 11:53 \__

>>> Of course - but that's with anything. Take HTML and CSS for instance -
>>> look what some people do with that! ;-)
>>
>> Do you dream in stylesheets too?
>
> I sleep with them (according to Matt), and I may dream in them too,
> but I tend to forget my dreams before I wake up, so I can't be sure.

I had to get my act together when my dreams had too many GUI's in them.

> [e-mail marketing progs]
>> If they wanted to, they could probably apply some moderation and impose
>> restrictions embedded the binaries of such software. For example, to
>> dispatch mail, you would have to communicate with a site that approves
>> delivery. This would help in crippling the spammers or shutting them down
>> altogether.
>
> I have no idea about the possibilities for that - too techie for me
> :-)
>
>> For the same reason, there are protocols like bullet counting in the
>> military and hand stamping in some pubs.
>
> Hand stamping? Like you wipe the stamp off to have another beer?

But, Els, you're not /supposed/ to do that.

>>> In case you didn't see it, this is the ad that I saw on that page, and
>>> if that ad had any guts, I'd hate them thoroughly.
>>> http://servedby.advertising.com/site=000...
>>
>> I was very much baffled. I thought it was a transparent GIF until I saved
>> it and opened it in the GIMP. My ad blocker ensured I was not exposed to
>> propaganda. I can't read Dutch, but I could go by the patterns.
>> IMDB-approved, aye?
>
> It says:
> Living and Working in the US
> If it flashes you are liable to win a Green Card
>
> Obviously, it always flashes. Did you get that in the GIMP?

The GIMP treat multiple frames as layers.

> It goes green-red-green for about 10 seconds before it stops in bright
> red.
>
> No idea about being approved by the IMDB - what's the IMDB?
> Is that where I can complain about flashing ads?

No, but it's one of the Web's so-called authorities for film-related
information. Like Amazon is for books, eBay is to an auction and Slashdot
is to news (well, to some of us at least)...

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
 12:05pm  up 22 days  0:19,  4 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.22, 0.33