Re: Microsoft's WinFS waves files goodbye

__/ [Sinister Midget] on Friday 16 September 2005 11:33 \__

> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2142335/microsoft-winfs-waves-files
>
> It's not what it sounds like, but the headline is probably more
> accurate than the story.
>
> Now all they have to do is make it work on something other than a
> slideshow presentation.

In Windows, to a majority of the users, the computers /is/ merely a
collection of documents, i.e.:

   Computer = blue E (Hotmail) + E-mail + Word for any ol' plain-text +
Excel for numbers and PowerPoint for the super IT-competent.

Few people whom I know that use Windows hold on to photos, files, mail
archives or even understand the notion of data migration, export, import
and the like. To such people, WinFS would be aye... just... fine...

Speaking of which...

    (just Slashdotted)

I don't see exactly how it (directly) affects us though.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Florida is bigger than England
  2:05pm  up 22 days  2:19,  3 users,  load average: 0.45, 0.43, 0.34