Re: Hosting - Acceptable Uptime

  • Subject: Re: Hosting - Acceptable Uptime
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 04:03:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [arccos] on Friday 16 September 2005 21:40 \__

> cnc wrote:
>> Anyone knows what is the average downtime (or an acceptable range) for a
>> hosting service?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> FC
>
> That depends totally on your needs. If you're running a business solely
> online, 99.9% is not good enough. If it's a hobby site, maybe 95% is
> acceptable for you. It's just a matter of the possible financial
> difference versus the hastle.
>
> I personally want about 99%, which Page Zone generally seems able to
> provide.

I found that the extra bucks you may have to pay to verge 99.9% are
definitely worth the amount of agnoy and woe that is saved. Besides,
assuming an safe environment where reboots are a matter of just minutes and
the server is a stable one, 99.9% is not so hard to attain. There are other
issues, however, like vulnerable software, which make prolonged downtimes
inevitable. It's primarily a question of (1) location, (2) hardware and (3)
customers, I assume.

Roy

PS - I would _never_ host my own site/s. There is so much hassle and work
involved. Hosts do everything in batch mode or one stone hits 100 birds.
(no offence Toby)

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: 85% of plant life in in the oceans
  3:55am  up 22 days 16:09,  2 users,  load average: 0.48, 0.33, 0.42