Re: [News] Linux Distributors Joins Forces, Settle on Standards

__/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Tuesday 25 April 2006 12:06 \__

> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 06:11:19 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Linux Distributors Unite on Standard
>>
>> ,----[ Quite ]
>> | In a move to make the freely distributed
>> | Linux operating system a stronger alternative to Microsoft Corp.'s
>> | Windows, a group of major Linux distributors announced Friday they have
>> | united on a standard set of components for desktop versions of Linux.
>> `----
>>
>>                                 http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/linux_standards
>

> I, for one, would be much happier if they spent less time worrying about
> this, and spent a hell of a lot more on standardizing the underlying
> mechanics of it all.
>
> Just as an example, explain to me the absolutely compelling, "cannot ship
> until it's done" reason for changing the Apache 2 configuration file
> location from /etc/apache2 to, say, /etc/http/apache2.
>
> Does the app run the same?  Yes.  Does it do the same things?  Yes.  Does
> it do them the same way?  Yes.  Uses the same syntax?  Yes.  Same
> permissions model, same extensions, modules, etc?  Yes.  So leave it the
> fuck alone already.

Which not use a command like 'find' or even 'which' for binaries? I agree.
It's not too hard, but there is also a merit to having consistency, which is
almost a synonym of standards.

> God, I hate that kind of mindless crap.  They can't be happy unless
> they've peed in the pot.  Screw that, there's enough _useful_ things to
> work on that introducing gratuitous inconsistencies should be grounds for
> instant banishment to a lifetime of never being able to use anything but
> Windows ME.

Actually, not much work is involved in changing of paths and file location.
That said, scripts can be broken in the process, which leads to needed
maintenance on the client's end. The cost would be noticed in the short
term, yet in the _long term_, scripts, skills and knowledgebases would
becomes more generalisable and widely applicable. You can't just ignore the
advantage of that. I, for one, disagree.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Microsoft's Counter-Supportive Evangelist (MCSE)
  1:50pm  up 2 days 22:47,  8 users,  load average: 1.30, 0.83, 0.61