Re: [News] Linux Distributors Joins Forces, Settle on Standards

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> __/ [ Jamie Hart ] on Monday 24 April 2006 09:40 \__
>
>> M <ihatespam.0.a101888@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

>>> For the benefit of those of us that are relatively new to linux,
>>> what is the exact nature of the problem is it:
>>>
>>> Difference between rpm & deb etc,
>>
>> No.
>>
>>> or using different libs like Qt,
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> or putting things in different locations on different distro or
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> something else?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Do you have (or can pull) a link that clarifies this and elaborates? I
> am interested in knowing where it's all headed. I guess that package
> management, much like user interface toolkits can somehow, sometimes,
> if not always be supported jointly by the same distribution. This
> might be difficult and laborious to maintain though, due to forks and
> duplication. That has a cost which is testing complexity and thus end
> quality.

http://www.freestandards.org

Package managers are not a problem because they all achieve the same
result.

> I can't say the same thing about paths to file. It would be nice to
> get rid of such anomalies and reach some conventions once and for all.
> All these distro-specific words of advice that assume certain files in
> particular locations are largely unhelpful and volatile.

This is tackled by the LSB (Linux Standard Base) to a degree.  Hopefully
as more distributions sign up to it there will be less of that kind of
problem.

The use of different libraries is also tackled by the LSB, at least to
determining what standard libraries (end which versions) should be
installed on a base system.

> Maybe the standard agreed upon can be forced from above. Maybe OSDL.
> Trust is good, control is better. Yet, community distributions can
> sometimes be made out of anarchists and individualists.

I doubt any standards can be forced from above, but once standards of any
kind have been formalised, those wishing to can achieve complience with
those standards.  Hopefully enough will do so.