Re: [News] Linux Distributors Joins Forces, Settle on Standards

__/ [ Jamie Hart ] on Monday 24 April 2006 09:40 \__

> M <ihatespam.0.a101888@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Linux Distributors Unite on Standard
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quite ]
>>> `----
>>>

>>>                             http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/linux_standards
>>
>> For the benefit of those of us that are relatively new to linux, what
>> is the exact nature of the problem is it:
>>
>> Difference between rpm & deb etc,
>
> No.
>
>> or using different libs like Qt,
>
> Yes.
>
>> or putting things in different locations on different distro or
>
> Yes.
>
>> something else?
>
> Yes.

Do you have (or can pull) a link that clarifies this and elaborates? I am
interested in knowing where it's all headed. I guess that package
management, much like user interface toolkits can somehow, sometimes, if not
always be supported jointly by the same distribution. This might be
difficult and laborious to maintain though, due to forks and duplication.
That has a cost which is testing complexity and thus end quality.

I can't say the same thing about paths to file. It would be nice to get rid
of such anomalies and reach some conventions once and for all. All these
distro-specific words of advice that assume certain files in particular
locations are largely unhelpful and volatile.

Maybe the standard agreed upon can be forced from above. Maybe OSDL. Trust is
good, control is better. Yet, community distributions can sometimes be made
out of anarchists and individualists.