Re: Article mentions EFI ideas...

  • Subject: Re: Article mentions EFI ideas...
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 08:29:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Malware Magnet ] on Monday 24 April 2006 08:04 \__

http://www.latimes.com/technology/ny-dolinar4711911apr23,1,7074441.column?coll=la-utilities-technology

> Apparently Mr. Dolinar hasn't been keeping up with Linux and EFI.
>
> http://elilo.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/blosxom
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060125-6045.html
> http://linux.dell.com/projects.shtml

Hardware incompatibilities are only a problem when one migrates from one
platform to another. This becomes a less significant factor when vendors
realise they are missing a niche. All in all, it would be excellent to make
the operating system (software) and hardware less transparent so that they
become 'black boxes' (with source code) or "components". That's what
projects like COBOL are for, at least at software level. Electrical
engineering likewise. There is a lack of standards for software-hardware
connectivity, which is a difficult gap to bridge. It requires collaboration
from two different industrial sectors.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "No, I didn't buy that from eBay"
  8:20am  up 1 day 17:17,  10 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.39, 0.56