Re: Microsoft makes Visual Web developer 2005 Express Edition Free

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft makes Visual Web developer 2005 Express Edition Free
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:09:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [ Matt Probert ] on Monday 24 April 2006 14:05 \__

> Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express is now available free
> from:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/download/
>
> Matt

What the page does not show (deliberately, I would bet) you is that they
offer:

        *Visual Studio Home

        *Visual Studio Team System

        *Visual Studio Express

This free distribution is a lockin, which much like other products that they
offer, urges you to pay for additional features and leads to
incompatibilities with other similar packages. Ultimately, your projects are
dependent upon the application. It's a risky route, which makes makes NVU
and other packages a safer and better option. FrontPage was recently buried
as far as I know. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Proprietary cripples communication
  3:05pm  up 2 days  0:02,  9 users,  load average: 0.46, 0.83, 0.91