Re: Website to serve a large number of images

  • Subject: Re: Website to serve a large number of images
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:20:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
__/ [ rich.nw3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 24 April 2006 14:39 \__

> I would like to build a website that just serves images.
>
> i would like to be able to add pictures to a directory on the server
> and when the page is accessed images are shown in a thumbnail format
> and are able to be clicked on for full size.
>
> Is there a website builder that will do this for me?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Richard

One package I would consider is Gallery. There are 5 (at the least) methods
of uploading images, which are then processed to create thumbnails,
standard-sized versions, and originals, all of which are accessible in
'HotLink mode'. Are you trying to achieve anything like PhotoBucket or
Flickr who permit HotLinking?

If you want a quick and dirty (also less scalable) tool, have a look at PHP
File Manager:

        http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpfilemanager/

It will probably need some modifications (it is unsafe as-is) and some
additional code for thumbnails. The idea is simple, however. You drop your
images into a given directory, which includes the script and here is what
you get:

http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/screenshots/ (scroll to the right)

If you want to use my modified script, start from:

        http://schestowitz.com/util.htm#php_file

Hope it helps,