Re: Need Assistance in setting up a server

  • Subject: Re: Need Assistance in setting up a server
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:13:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [ Blazeout.net ] on Sunday 23 April 2006 11:27 \__

> Hi,
> Im BHarath im a rookie when it comes to networking and hosting and have
> no idea about hosting
> i have recently started a website www.blazeout.net and i thought
> whether i can start hosting from my own server
> Presently i have a 512mb ADSL connection with unlimited download and
> upload limits
> so i thought y not open my hosting service for my own server
> But the problem is that i have simply the least idea when it comes
> about hosting
> so is there some one to help me
> please help

My personal advice would be that you should pay a host the dollar or so per
month to have hosting handled elsewhere. This gives you peace of mind while
on vacation/asleep; this also gives you a static IP address (otherwise you
could deter traffic from third parties, prominently search engines); it has
installation, potching and debugging handled remotely; good uptime for
E-mail on domain (if one is used) and the list goes on and on. There are
circumstances when hosting one's own site is a fairly good idea (e.g. high
bandwidth for media, no need for resilience), but if you haven't the
experience with hosting, just delegate the responsibility to someone else.

Also see: http://www.veen.com/jeff/archives/000555.html

Best wishes,

Unisys: open source software set to have a similar impact as the Internet
 12:05pm  up  21:02,  12 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.28, 0.27