Re: Xubuntu comes of age, now a sibling to Ubuntu

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ M ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 18:42 \__
>
>> Xubuntu uses Xfce4 as the desktop environment.
>>
>> <quote>
>> For Dapper we want to go one step further and make Xubuntu a sibling of
>> Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Edubuntu by having install and live CD images
>> generated for it.
>> </quote>
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu
>
> Vis-a-vis Xubuntu, it was only yesterday (or the day before) when OSDir
> added a Xubuntu screenshot gallery. So, for what it's worth:
>
> http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=618&slide=5
>
> It looks rather repellent if compared against nUbuntu (and others), so I
> imagine it uses resources wisely, at the least. Maybe a compensation-type
> package?
>
> I guess 'accustomisation' and uniformity would be other important factors.
> I can't recall if GNOME or XFCE was the first environment I have ever
> used. I guess XFCE distributions like Xubuntu serve, to some extent, as a
> backward compatibility tool. For anything else, X and TWM or even no X at
> all would be fine. I am not sure about IceWM, but all the above are fine
> for the server room or the retention of old business processes.

After Linonut suggested taking a look at XFce as it was less resource hungry
than KDE I downloaded a liveCD which used XFce as the window manager. The
liveCD was SAM linux, (based on Mandrake). After taking a look I decided to
install XFce, and have been using as my main window manager for a while
now, it makes a nice change. Speed wise doesn't seem to be much different
to KDE. Having said that, I like the idea of being able to go back to KDE
if I want to.

Interesting that they have gone for a green wallpaper as that is what SAM
linux do also.

As for being repellent, well you can fiddle with it if you want to, change
themes wallpaper that sort of thing. Mine looks a little different, having
a light blue background, with a bar at the bottom of the screen with
buttons on it, and the 'task' bar at the top of the screen.

 I would only download and install it as is, if it was going on a server.
For my Desktop I prefer to install kubuntu, then add additional window
managers after that.

--
Regards,