Re: Xubuntu comes of age, now a sibling to Ubuntu

__/ [ M ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 18:42 \__

> Xubuntu uses Xfce4 as the desktop environment.
>
> <quote>
> For Dapper we want to go one step further and make Xubuntu a sibling of
> Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Edubuntu by having install and live CD images
> generated for it.
> </quote>
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu

Vis-a-vis Xubuntu, it was only yesterday (or the day before) when OSDir added
a Xubuntu screenshot gallery. So, for what it's worth:

http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=618&slide=5

It looks rather repellent if compared against nUbuntu (and others), so I
imagine it uses resources wisely, at the least. Maybe a compensation-type
package?

I guess 'accustomisation' and uniformity would be other important factors. I
can't recall if GNOME or XFCE was the first environment I have ever used. I
guess XFCE distributions like Xubuntu serve, to some extent, as a backward
compatibility tool. For anything else, X and TWM or even no X at all would
be fine. I am not sure about IceWM, but all the above are fine for the
server room or the retention of old business processes.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  2:50am  up  11:48,  9 users,  load average: 1.53, 0.70, 0.78