Re: OT: Petrol prices

__/ [ Jerry Stuckle ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 22:30 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Matt Probert ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 16:18 \__
>>

>>><rant on>
>>>
>>>I notice petrol prices are rising every week. I guess they're not
>>>included in the UK inflation figures!
>>>
>>>Look out for more record profits from the British oil companies next
>>>quarter!
>>>
>>><gnashing of teeth>
>>>
>>>Someone's extracting the urine out of the British motorist, and
>>>without wishing to appear racist, I am glancing westwards.....
>>>
>>>(No, Mecca's the other way)
>>>
>>></rant of>
>>>
>>>Matt
>>

>> I was in the States until Thursday and was told that, in a period of just
>> 6 months, the price of petrol doubled (maybe an exaggerating/figure of
>> speech). Everybody was talking about the price of fuel and noone could
>> every find the gas station that had sane, welcoming prices. So you are not
>> alone in this. Demand for gasoline in the East is rising as well, so think
>> green.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Roy
>>

> Roy,
>
> "Doubled" is an exaggeration.  Maybe 15-20% over the same time last year,
> depending on where you are.
>
> It's up to $3.25/gallon at the station down the street.  It's the highest
> I've seen around here (other than a "shortage" after Hurricane Katrina hit
> when it
> was $3.50/gal).  But it's still not nearly as high as what you guys across
> the pond are paying.

I saw it going for just under 3 dollars in Florida. I was pretty certain that
the numbers were inflated as a sort of dramatic licence tool.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Every polar bear is left-handed
  2:45am  up  11:42,  9 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.50, 0.82