Re: Palmtops

__/ [ Swampy Bogtrotter ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 18:52 \__

> <big snip />
>>
>> PS - remember that much is dependent on use. Examples:
>>
>>         -Will plenty of media need to be accessed on the go?
>>
>>         -Will the Palm be used often? if so, how long for? 5 minutes?
>> 5 seconds?
>>
>>         -Is the user carrying a purse (or 'man purse'). I am not
>> kidding here...
>
> Hmmm.....It seems that peoples biggest gripes are with the slow response
> time when accessing files, and the time it takes to boot up when switched
> on.....Having just discussed this with Janet, we don't forsee this being a
> major problem for her.....
> We won't be using it for any major computing or processing of data.....It
> will be primarily an output device for displaying ebooks and video
> files.....
>
> Your advice has swung me towards the Palm OS, and seeing the LD model in
the
> store has swung us towards it's higher storage capacity.....
> I think we can live with having to wait 2 minutes every now and again when
> we need to reboot it.....After all, Janet's used to MS Windows.....

This makes perfect sense. Good luck with the LifeDrive. Bear in mind that
Palm O/S has been dropped in favour of a grounds-up Linux-based alternative
that is fully compatible with its predecessors. It seems as though great
things are yet to come in Palm's way. I would typically recommend the Nokia
770 as well, but it doesn't seem to suit Janet's needs.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Useless fact: Women blink twice as much as men
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  2:40am  up  11:37,  9 users,  load average: 0.64, 1.20, 1.10