Re: Palmtops

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Swampy Bogtrotter ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 18:04 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> __/ [ Swampy Bogtrotter ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 13:35 \__

>>> I will warn you that my option is strongly biased. *smile*

>>> Yes. I can think of a few applications that you can run on Windows
>>> Mobile and not on Palm, as well as vice versa. Many would argue that
>>> Palm offers more applications, a very large number of which are
>>> free.

>>> Yes. You can install Acrobat Reader, Blazer, Plucker, etc. Some of
>>> them will be installed already and all are free.

>>> Yes. Mac OS X and Linux likewise.

>>> A Windows user may find it easy to use and exceptionally reliable. A
>>> Palm will probably require a reset once in several month, which
>>> typically seems normal to *nix users, but raises many brows among
>>> the Windows community.

>>> Depending on what you need, have a look at the Treo (*not* the
>>> 700w), as well as the Tungsten X. For practical use, the LifeDrive
>>> would be a poor choice,
>>
>> That's a shame....We were looking at this model in the store
>> http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/020878
>> And we were well impressed by it.....Especially the 4GB drive.....We
>> had more or less settled on that one.....
>> Why would you advise against the LifeDrive models?
>>
>> Thanks for all the other pointers though.....Your help is much
>> appreciated......
>
> Have a look at the following (fairly recent) long discussion. Use
> judgment as there are people on both sides on the argument, me
> included.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot/browse_frm/thre
ad/869e3279377f1b45/68022117154dfb94?lnk=st&q=lifedrive+warning+laurent&rnum
=1#68022117154dfb94

> Hope it helps and good luck,

Cheers Roy, I'm off to have a read now.....

> PS - remember that much is dependent on use. Examples:
>
>         -Will plenty of media need to be accessed on the go?

We want to put a hefty library of ebooks and maybe video files onto it.....

>         -Will the Palm be used often? if so, how long for? 5 minutes?
> 5 seconds?

Probably quite often and for long periods......

>         -Is the user carrying a purse (or 'man purse'). I am not
> kidding here...

Yeah, Janet always caries quite a substantial handbag with her.....It never
leaves her side.....