Re: Palmtops

__/ [ Swampy Bogtrotter ] on Sunday 23 April 2006 10:57 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Swampy Bogtrotter ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 18:52 \__
>>
>>> <big snip />

>>> Hmmm.....It seems that peoples biggest gripes are with the slow
>>> response time when accessing files, and the time it takes to boot up
>>> when switched on.....Having just discussed this with Janet, we don't
>>> forsee this being a major problem for her.....
>>> We won't be using it for any major computing or processing of
>>> data.....It will be primarily an output device for displaying ebooks
>>> and video files.....
>>>
>>> Your advice has swung me towards the Palm OS, and seeing the LD
>>> model in the store has swung us towards it's higher storage
>>> capacity.....
>>> I think we can live with having to wait 2 minutes every now and
>>> again when we need to reboot it.....After all, Janet's used to MS
>>> Windows.....
>>
>> This makes perfect sense. Good luck with the LifeDrive. Bear in mind
>> that Palm O/S has been dropped in favour of a grounds-up Linux-based
>> alternative that is fully compatible with its predecessors.
>
> Ooh, sounds interesting.....Can you upgrade the OS on PDA's? or is it hard
> wired?.....
>
> Thanks for all your advice Roy, you've been a huge help....

Only engineers upgrade the O/S. It's a challenge because it involves changing
ROM and there are many possible incompatibilities, hardware-wise in
particular. I am not entirely sure about this, but have a look at some
projects that boot good ol' Linux and other operating system on Palm
hardware (even Windows Mobile on the Treo 700). There is rarely anything to
be gained by O/S upgrades which are built to use processors whose power
corresponds to the release date. All in all, your mileage may vary.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    YaSTall SuSE to figure out the magic
 11:45am  up  20:42,  12 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.31, 0.25