Re: [News] Linux Distributors Joins Forces, Settle on Standards

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Linux Distributors Unite on Standard

,----[ Quite ]
| In a move to make the freely distributed
| Linux operating system a stronger alternative to Microsoft Corp.'s Windows,
| a group of major Linux distributors announced Friday they have united on
| a standard set of components for desktop versions of Linux.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/linux_standards

That article annoys me. Maybe I am unreasonable for being annoyed but when I read:

Linux has a firm foothold as an operating system for servers — it's popular for hosting Web sites, for instance — but has only a few percent of the desktop market.

That's partly because, Linux, created in the early 90s by Finnish programmer Linus Torvalds, is really just the kernel, or core of an operating system. For a Linux computer to perform meaningful tasks, more software needs to be added that does things like presenting a graphical user interface.
<<<

I expect to see at least a sentence giving Richard Stallman and GNU at least equal mention and credit. I don't think that is too much to ask for.

GRR