Re: Empty trash can on SuSE 10 proceeded very slowly

  • Subject: Re: Empty trash can on SuSE 10 proceeded very slowly
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 17:10:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [ Tarik Mustafic ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 16:15 \__

> mst schrieb:
>> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 16:48:33 +0200 Tarik Mustafic <tarikmustafic@xxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>>> i use KDE. with 'trash can' i meant my rubbish bin on my desktop.
>>

>> Have you checked the ownerships on it ?
>>
> i have checked now the ownerships, and it seems to be all ok there.

KDE tends to erase files through some higher level API's, which is why it is
generally a bad idea to erase, move or copy /very/ large lumps of
files/directory by dragging and dropping or even using the menus at times.
The command line does things the quick and dirty way and in Control Center
you will find where your trash directory is located (maybe ~/Trash or
~/Desktop/Trash by default, but I believed this was changed in SuSE 9.3
onwards). If this latency bothers you, create a simple shell script, e.g.

,----[ empty_trash.sh ]
| # /bin/sh
|
| rm -rf ~/Trash
`----

make it executable:

,----[ Command ]
| chmod 700 empty_trash.sh
`----

and put it in the desktop or whatever suits you. It's merely a workaround,
not an answer.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Community is code, code is community
  5:00pm  up   1:57,  6 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.58, 0.56