Re: Google wins rights to Aussie algorithm

__/ [ Colin Wilson ] on Monday 10 April 2006 06:19 \__

> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/04/10/1144521239582.html
>
> Google wins rights to Aussie algorithm
> By Stephen Hutcheon
> April 10, 2006 - 9:47AM
>
> Google  has snapped up the rights to an advanced text search algorithm
> invented by a University of NSW student.
>
> The algorithm, or search engine tool, is called Orion and was developed by
> UNSW PhD student Ori Allon at the university's School of Computer Science.
>
> Orion works as an add-on to existing search engines to improve the
> relevance of search and won praise from Microsoft founder Bill Gates last
> year.
>
> The algorithm is a problem-solving computational procedure and is the
> building block for all search engines like those operated by Google and
> Yahoo.
>
> Orion finds pages where the content is about a topic strongly related to
> the key word. It then returns a section of the page, and lists other topics
> related to the key word so the user can pick the most relevant.

I believe that Webcrawler have been doing something similar since 2002 at the
latest. There wasn't much computation and detail involved though. That's
assuming I understood the method correctly from this gist. It's based on the
concept that the user follows a path of answers and further refines the
results. Google have begun doing this a few months ago, I suspect, at least
at a shallow level. It can break the concept ogf SERP's and maybe cull out
the issue of spam, at least partially.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  2:40am  up 43 days 16:23,  6 users,  load average: 1.12, 1.14, 1.03