Re: Google Promote Firefox, Again

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 29 April 2006 07:05 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ dapunka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 26 April 2006 21:11 \__

>>> I think this is absolutely reasonable. I've lost track  of the number
>>> of sites that tell me I need Internet Explorer to see the site in all
>>> its glory.
>>>
>>> If it's ok for some sites to push an insecure browser like IE, what can
>>> be wrong with other sites recommending a more secure alternative?
>>
>> Don't  forget  that  most Google pages (the SERP's at the  least)  can  be
>> rendered  just  fine  by IE5 and IE6 (among predecessors). For  Google  to
>> speak for the Web, to which it is the main gateway, would be a bold move.
>>
>> All  the  buzz  which this tactic creates seems to have  deterred  Google.
>> Ghost  says this campaign has potentially reached an end, based on what he
>> sees in the States, under IE. One wonders if Google use the browser cookie
>> to count page requests and cease to recommend Firefox after a while.
>>

> Or perhaps leave it for a while before doing it again?

Judging by < http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1508998.cms >,
which was published only yesterday, there has been no true abatement to this
strategy. Perhaps, despite skepticism, Google directly contribute to Open
Source; yes, _after all_!

Wait until Google do the same thing with OpenOffice. Last year they sent some
Google engineers to the OpenOffice team. OpenOffice only indirectly competes
with a service of them (the Writely acquisition), but with search bars in
Vista and IE7, Google must pull the public out of Microsoft products. Also
see:

        Financials Indicate Microsoft Prepping for War (with Google)

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Community is code, code is community
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  8:40am  up 1 day 15:45,  13 users,  load average: 1.25, 0.66, 0.85