Re: Antitrust Case: USA vs. Microsoft

  • Subject: Re: Antitrust Case: USA vs. Microsoft
  • From: "NoNamer" <grug2005@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 1 Aug 2006 00:43:57 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mark Kent wrote:
> begin  oe_protect.scr
> > __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 01 August 2006 03:09 \__
> >
> >> begin  oe_protect.scr
> >> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

> >> I still find it almost beyond belief that coupons /for microsoft
> >> software/ could be accepted in reparation for Microsoft's monopoly
> >> abuse.  It's truly laughable.
> >
> > Laughable--it sure is. Microsoft is laughing all the way to the bank (and
> > courtroom). Look how they have just pulled a fast one to postpone the EU's
> > fine.
> >

> I remain unconvinced that they'll ever pay anything for their illegal
> activities.  They see themselves as outside the law.

No they don't.

They believe in the right to innovate without the government telling
them what to do with their own software.

A lot of what MS was accused of is being done by hundreds of companies
today.  Different prices to different OEMs (IOW, deals), bundling (now
being done by Apple and almost all Linux distros), etc.

The EU trial is all about politics and NOTHING about restoring
'competitiveness' - MS doens't even HAVE a monopoly in the server
space, not to mention the fact that IBM and Oracle have *zero*
intentions on using any of the protocols that the EU wants documents.

Customers have clearly voiced *their* choices by not buying the Windows
without the media player.

But in the EU, the government tells the people what they need.

No thanks.  I live in AMERICA, and I like the competition - even if it
means the weak guys get destroyed.  Netscape sucked - I would have
downloaded and used IE even if it weren't bundled.

FireFox is good.  Note that it is having FAR better success than
Netscape even though it is not included in Windows.  Wonder why?  The
FireFox guys actually try to make a good product instead of spending
money to SUE other companies and whine and bitch.

If only IBM, Sun and Oracle would do that - they might have good
products to.  But no, instead, they have to spend money to sue
Microsoft for making better products.