Re: [News] Compiz/XGL on Touchscreen (Video)

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Friday 18 August 2006 21:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:50:01 +0100
> <2298569.NYbxQ3P5lF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> 3D Desktop! TouchScreen and XGL on Linux!
>>
>> This looks quite futuristic. It is also somewhat reminiscent of
>> knock-based commands on IBM laptops (e.g. to rotate the box).
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9FgLr9oTk
>
> Actually, that might be an interesting combination.
> The effect of twisting the cube and grabbing the wobbly
> windows might very well be a selling-point for those more
> tactile-oriented.  It's a good appearance of interacting
> with quasi-physical objects.

I still think they ought to place the monitor/s much in the same way as they
do in Indiana schools (Linux in education). The monitor should be mounted on
the table and act like a book/mousepad/tablet. Raising your hand like this
(as in the video)  for hours can be very tiring. And one loses precision
because the arm has no support. Maybe a combination of mouse and finger
(stylus equivalent) would be fine.

> As for the alleged nakedness, I'll remind the watchers
> that Monty Python had a certain individual playing a church
> organ, so presumably this sort of thing isn't new. :-)

Well, I hope the guy in the video was not playing an organ.

> And who's to say whether the individual is wearing nothing, or a
> tank-top?

That's just what I thought. That said, maybe he embraces Compiz by going
'transparent'.

Best wishes,

Modern man is the missing link between Neanderthals and the civilised man
  7:20am  up 29 days 19:35,  7 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.29, 0.43