Re: [News] Google Ridicules Windows, Microsoft TCO Studies

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Friday 18 August 2006 15:56 \__

>> In an interview I was told that one skill Google seeks is the ability
>> to connect large networks. Windows XP Professional Edition cannot even VNC
>> to more than one machine at a time, unless I am misinformed.
>
>     There's no built in support for VNC in Windows XP Pro. You'd have to
>     get
> a 3rd party client (of which there are several high quality, and open
> source ones), and any limitations there would be the fault of the client
> rather than the OS itself.
>
>     However, XP Pro does have something called "Remote Desktop" which is
> similar to VNC, and I'm guessing that's what you're talking about. If
> you're sitting at an XP Pro machine, you can "Remote Desktop" into as many
> other "remote desktop servers" as you want.
>
>     However, when XP Pro is acting as a remote desktop server, it can only
> accept 1 client at a time. I think this limitation stems from the fact that
> only 1 user can be "logged on" and "active" on XP pro at the same time.

I'm glad I don't do research with Windows. It must be a nightmare getting
clusters to work together. Performance, stability and uptime aside...

> However, with Windows Server 2K3, you can have multiple users "logged on"
> and "active", and you can have multiple clients "remote desktop"-ing in at
> the same time.

How much will it cost to have 50 of these 2K3 servers? Will they be secure?
Mind you, when Windows Longhorn was thrown to some wastebin around September
2005, it was the 2K3 codebase that was used to build Vista. Windows Vista is
Windows 2K3 (Server) with an additional 6 months of addons (feature freeze
declared in February/March 2006). Given the close similarity between 2K3 and
XP, the implications on security and reliability is unnerving. I would not
want to rely on that 'code spaghetti' (not my words) for prosessional work.
Even paine.exe, the La-la Land mounds wallpaper, and the children blue menus
will not tempt me. I fear that most people are missing out on what computers
/truly/ have to offer, if only you put the right software on the available
hardware.

Best wishes,