Re: Linux May Hit Single Digit Desktop Marketshare in 5 Years!!!

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Friday 18 August 2006 16:10 \__

> [removed crossposting]

>> * The PlayStation 3 and Wii run Linux. The PlayStation is likely to have
>> the
>> largest market share.
>
>     How do you figure that? I believe the Wii will have the largest market
> share.

I would hate to cite Microsoft's FUD puppet, but the following was published
yesterday.

PS3 to lead in market share with 44% by 2011 says analyst

,----[ Quote ]
| From the "more good news for the PS3" feed comes a positive forecast by
| the Yankee Group regarding the pricey console. The analyst group believes
| Sony will lead in next-gen market share by 44% in 2011, with Xbox 360
| taking a close 40% share, followed by Wii with a wee little bitty 16%
| share. That's a safe projection considering the PS2 sold a gazillion
| units this last generation.
`----

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/16/ps3-to-lead-in-market-share-by-44-in-2011-says-yankee-group/

To use own judgment, the PS3's capacity is underestimated by most. Microsoft
FUD does not help either. The PS3 will function like a computer (as in a
PC). The Wii is likely to follow the same route because it was said to have
an IM client called !!m (Wii upside down).

Then, come to consider brute force in the PS3. That Cell processor can surely
handle a lot of polygons and given Sony's /patience/ (release in November?),
the same flukes as those that you saw with the XBox 360 (boxes respond much
like those Dell laptop batteries) are unlikely to destroy its image. That
rootkits have taken care of that...