Re: Linux May Hit Single Digit Desktop Marketshare in 5 Years!!!

__/ [ Linonut ] on Friday 18 August 2006 14:39 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tomas Dunton belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3627061
>>
>> Wow!!!
>> So in the year 2011 Linux will finally hit 1 percent of desktop market
>> share.
>>
>> It sure looks like those netcraft and web counter statistics are right on
>> the mark consistently showing Linux at around .2 percent.
>>
>> Microsoft must be having a field day with this article.
>
> Nice article, thanks Tomas.

It's probably flatfish+++, but since this duplicate was crossposted, here was
my reply in the former thread:

__

Desktop? 5 years? In 5 years not many people will be using desktops. And
let's look around us:

* Mobile devices are gaining traction and Linux is set to dominate that arena
with an expected market share of 40% within a few years (at the expense of
Symbian and others).

* The PlayStation 3 and Wii run Linux. The PlayStation is likely to have the
largest market share.

* SOA. Linux is the best choice bar none in terms of TCO. I am not sure about
Sun. UNIX is always weakening. And how many people do you know who opt for
Web-based applications nowadays? They are almost exclusively LAMP (the
successful ones anyway).

The landscape is transforming itself. In 10 years, the days when people used
computer on desks (as opposed to e.g., speak to their mobile device) may
seem a great distance away. Look back just over a decade ago and discover
that Gates' thought that the Internet was bound to disappear or would never
catch on.