Re: [News] Google Ridicules Windows, Microsoft TCO Studies

  • Subject: Re: [News] Google Ridicules Windows, Microsoft TCO Studies
  • From: "Oliver Wong" <owong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:37:41 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • References: <3001822.m7SHPSMgcO@schestowitz.com> <OfJEg.4350$r61.4139@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk> <87hd0csfls.fsf@mail.com> <%BLEg.4465$r61.3968@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk> <8764gs8k89.fsf@mail.com> <1680504.osIyYu6SWv@schestowitz.com> <phedr3-v16.ln1@ellandroad.demon.co.uk> <pan.2006.08.17.09.03.15.589973@tiscali.co.uk> <uepdr3-t9o.ln1@ellandroad.demon.co.uk> <pan.2006.08.17.09.54.20.987007@tiscali.co.uk> <n3sdr3-t9o.ln1@ellandroad.demon.co.uk>
"Mark Kent" <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:n3sdr3-t9o.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

However, this is a linux advocacy group, not a windows advocacy group, and there are several windows advocacy groups where Mr Quark and his ilk could post if they wanted to. The fact that they do not is quite telling, in my view, although the same old recycled FUD is moreso.

I can't speak for Quark, but I can explain why I post here despite the fact that I consider myself a Windows advocate on this group[*].

As I've mentioned in another thread, what brought me to COLA were the crosspostings "asj" made to the comp.lang.java.advocacy groups. What made me stay were Roy's [News] postings and the occasional interesting threads that pop up around them. I want people to advocate Linux to me precisely because I don't know very much about Linux. I want to hear about all the great things that can be done with Linux.

I'm not so interested in the Windows advocacy newsgroups for two reasons:
(1) I know a lot about Windows, so I don't expect to learn very much new there.
(2) I don't think Windows is all that great. Certainly not great enough to spend my energy advocating it.

This also explains why I do post on comp.lang.java.advocacy: I do think Java is great enough to be worth advocating.

So you see, there are two (non-trollish) roles for posters on this newsgroup: The people who are advocating, and the people being advocated to. Not everybody is of the former.

   - Oliver

[*] I qualified my claim with "on this group" because I do consider myself to be a Linux advocate in other contexts. Amongst my friends and family, I am the heaviest user of Linux, having tried it out a few years ago, and of open source software, which I use regularly both at home and at work. I'm trying to convince the non-game players that there really isn't any reason not to give Linux a try. I'm trying to convince others that security through obscurity is a bad idea, and open source software tends to be more secure. I've managed to get a lot of people to switch to Firefox from IE. But obviously, here on this newsgroup, you people probably know a whole lot more about Linux than I do, so I don't consider myself a Linux advocate *here*.