Re: RIAA's "abundance of sensitivity" ends harassment of grieving family

  • Subject: Re: RIAA's "abundance of sensitivity" ends harassment of grieving family
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 18:02:22 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 17 August 2006 15:04 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Quote:
>> -----------------
>> Last week, we posted about the family of a recently deceased defendant
>> in a lawsuit by the RIAA being given 60 days to grieve before the RIAA
>> went on to depose the dead man's children in a renewed suit against his
>> estate. In the intervening days, the publicity about this despicable
>> act -- suing the family of a dead man -- has mounted. Today, an RIAA
>> spokesperson, Jonathan Lamy, contacted me today with this statement:
>>
>>     Our hearts go out to the Scantleberry family for their loss. We had
>> decided to temporarily suspend the productive settlement discussions we
>> were having with the family. Mr. Scantleberry had admitted that the
>> infringer was his stepson, and we were in the process settling with him
>> shortly before his passing. Out of an abundance of sensitivity, we have
>> elected to drop this particular case.
>> -------------
>> End quote
>>
>> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/08/14/riaas_abundance_of_s.html
>>
>> A heartwarming story, indeed.
>>

> One has to consider that the public gets what it deserves, to some
> extent, here.  If the public is prepared to put up with this kind of
> treatment, and will continue to consume their (generally atrocious)
> wares, then they do rather provide some kind of vote of confidence in
> the system as it stands.  I would far rather see people look for
> alternative music, films, and so on, and avoid the RIAA/BPI/MPAA etc.
> crowd altogether.

But it has got to expand, IMHO. Open Source films are still in their diapers.
As for music that is distibuted online (e.g. many unknown bands and radio
shows/mixes), I have always been a big fan! In fact, all my music is
obtained from HTTP. No peer-to-peer pirates.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "My signature is never intended to be offensive"
Tasks: 127 total,   1 running, 123 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie