Re: [News] Google Gives Us Open Source Optical Character Recognition

__/ [ Handover Phist ] on Thursday 31 August 2006 17:59 \__

http://google-code-updates.blogspot.com/2006/08/announcing-tesseract-ocr.html

>> Picasa and Google Earth (among other applications) were not Open Source.
>> This code might help existing OS OCR projects, which many Linux newbies
>> still nag about (among other areas: voice recognition, games, and Adobe
>> Photoshop).
>
> Not just newbies have been complaining about the lack of OCR, I myself
> have commented on it and have been waiting a good long time for a
> project like this to grow.
>
> For those who would say "Why didn't you just code one up yourself?", I'm
> just not that good a coder.
>
> This announcement makes me extremely happy.

I am aware of (at least two) projects that have a decent graphical users
interface and perform all right. I never tried them myself though. Either
way, performance-wise, they could improve by plugging Google's code in
(assuming licenses permit this). I imagine that Google developed (or
acquired) something beyond satisfactory to have Google Print developed and
flourish. It is, after all, yet to become a threat to Amazon's large empire,
in my humble opinion.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | FreeBSD - sidling with a little devil
Swap:  1036184k total,   238264k used,   797920k free,    50160k cached