Re: [News] Google Gives Us Open Source Optical Character Recognition

John Bailo :
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Announcing Tesseract OCR
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | We wanted to let you all know that a few months ago we quietly released -
>> | or actually re-released - an Optical Character Recognition (OCR) engine
>> | into open source.
>> `----
>>
>> http://google-code-updates.blogspot.com/2006/08/announcing-tesseract-ocr.html
>>
>> Picasa and Google Earth (among other applications) were not Open Source. This
>> code might help existing OS OCR projects, which many Linux newbies still nag
>> about (among other areas: voice recognition, games, and Adobe Photoshop).
>
> I hate to say it, but Google reminds me of Pete and Re-Peat.
>
> I mean, they really are the Microsoft of Open Source -- every time
> something emerges from the Internet/OSS/Linux world, like blogging, or
> AJAX, Google comes out and calls it "Google Dynamics" or "Google
> Writely" or "Google BLAH DI DAH".
>
> As advocates supporting the worldwide community of /individuals/ making
> contributions and ideas I think you people are way too easy on Google.

Google, as a company, is a large group of individuals pulling for OSS,
using OSS, and contributing source code to OSS.

Not only that but this isn't Google Tesseract or Google OCR, it's just
Tesseract OCR, so where you comin from hoss?

--
Draft beer, not people

http://www.websterscafe.com